Did you know that there are 18 different ways to tie a tie? The variations range from the ‘full Windsor’, to more complex knots like the Eldrege and the Trinity. Today, The Four In Hand Knot is one of the most common, and easier, ways to tie a tie.
The Step By Step process:
- Loop the tie around your collar. Thick end on the left, 3-4 inches lower than the thin end.
- Cross the thick end in front of the thin end.
- Wrap the thick end around behind the thin end and cross horizontally from right to left.
- Bring the thick end horizontally across the front of the knot from right to left. Slip a finger beneath this horizontal band.
- Turn the tip of the thick end upward and in, sliding it beneath the loop around your neck.
- Feed the thick end down through the loop you’ve held open with your finger.
- Pull the thick end all the way through the loop and snug the knot down tightly.
- Tighten the knot by holding it gently in one hand and tugging on the thin end with the other.
Like anything, practice makes perfect.