We’re all on our own personal health journey. Whether you’re looking to make a dramatic change or just lose a few pounds, health and wellness is important. But in an industry with so many different fad diets and magic pills, it’s hard to tell what works and what doesn’t. Have you tried Atkins, Paleo, intermittent fasting, and/or other diets and didn’t get the expected results? Maybe the keto diet is the right solution for you.
Product Knowledge & Customer Experience Specialist, Maximillian Guglielmi-Vitullo from Popeyes Supplements explains the facts, benefits and lifestyle changes associated with this diet.
What is it?
A ketogenic diet is one that switches your body’s primary source of energy from carbohydrates to fats. This happens by restricting dietary carbohydrates to the point that your body opts to break down fatty acids into ‘ketones’ for energy instead. A ketogenic diet typically requires a split of 70-75% of total daily calories from fat sources, 20% from protein and less than 10% coming from carbohydrates.
- Can accelerate fat loss
- Decreases stress and anxiety
- Improves cognition and neurological health
- Increases physical and mental endurance
- Decreases blood pressure
- Lowers “bad cholesterol”
Many call the keto diet a celebrity-fad that is only practical when you are surrounded by nutritionists, physicians, and trainers, who help tailor the diet specifically to your own needs. Basketball icon, Lebron James, is known to have seen significant weight loss from following this diet for 67 days.
Popeye’s expert, Maximillian Guglielmi-Vitullo, notes a few important points if you are training while on this diet, and how it will impact your body:
- Clients may note a temporary decreases in strength and muscular endurance until nutritionally adapted
- People who take on this diet need to drink more water and take in electrolytes since the ketogenic diet is inherently diuretic
- The Keto diet is good for endurance athletes
- High intensity interval training (HIIT) or training fasted can get your body into ketosis quickly
How to calculate what to eat?
Follow these guidelines:
minimum 70% of total calories per day from fats
• 20-25% of total calories per day from protein
• Limit carbohydrates to <10% of total calories, ﬁber is not included in this calculation
NOTE: Protein & Carbohydrates provide 4 cal/g, while fats are more energetically dense and provide 9 cal/g.
ANS Performance makes the KETOSYS Series of Ketogenic Lifestyle products which include:
KETOSYS – keto meal replacement shake
KETOVITA – BHB ketones + essential vitamins & electrolytes
KETOMATE – zero sugar high fat ﬂavoured coffee creamer